Tuesday, 23 October 2007

Sunday

A catchup, on Sunday after Cheddar Gorge we went for a drive to Axbridge. where the large reservoir that we could see from the top of the gorge is, and there were sailing boats and a very cold wind. Then we went for a walk around the village itself which has some medieval building still in use, nice wooden frame ones. (photo link plus house advert)

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/rowejdi/Axbridge

We then headed home via Weston super Mare as I thought I would like a look at the area before I start work there. Sadly when we hit the traffic jams I remembered they were having the annual sand motorbike races, and as we discovered it had been a huge event with thousands of bikes and they were all ready to go home. Oh joy. Some time later we decided to leave the main roads and go round the coast road. We passed a pier built out to an island, it is disused by the public now but has a life boat station where the boats are launched down a really steep ramp into the deep sea, would loved to have seen one.

Nice drive but still a bit of traffic so we decided to stop at a nice country pub for dinner, so we tried 3 or 4 but they had all stopped cooking and it was only 6.45. Finally after trying back roads for places like Yatton we saw a pub with all the lights on swooped in and sat down only to find it was a plastic menu 2 for one sort of place with very ordinary fare, Shame really.

Had Monday off and walked from town to Clifton to Blackboy hill and down again about 3 hours work, bought some nice woolly pink gloves ( by necessity it was freezing) and an irish woman asked where I got my lovely boots from ( Glenda will remember the shop in Wanaka) a bit far for this lady to go though.

Tomorrow I will write about my new job and the train trip.