Saturday, 16 February 2008

bags ahoy and ow

C worst fears realised, they got to Auckland after having had to spend 24 hours in LA and after 45 minutes of watching bags go round and round they had to accept that their bags were no where to be seen. They then filled in all the lost bag forms and headed to customs who then wanted to know where their bags were!! Finally got out of there with only 20 minutes till their plane left so they ran from international to local terminal ( not C happiest activity ) got to the counter as the plane was announced for boarding and the hostess wanted to know where their bags were... and then called people on her radio trying to find them, but to no avail and they are now in Dunedin with no new clothes, no presents and feeling a bit sad really. I hope they show up.

I had a nice sleep in , then a huge house clean ( not hard in a small flat) then went to meet a friend for lunch. She was running a bit late so I decided to read one of my new library books and reached down to get it and a spliter from the table went into my finger, ow and double ow up right up under the fingernail ( like torture)
I asked for tweezers and a bandaid, as now bleeding, they bought me a cup of warm water to soak it in. Then the manager came with the next best thing to tweezers... sugar tongs... and he proceded to try and pull it out ow again as he jiggled about, managed to get a small bit out and he thought that was all but I could still feel it and you could see it under the nail, as long as the nail.
They then offered to take me to the hospital but I thought I would feel a bit silly with all the car accidents and stabbings sitting there with a splinter. Kath arrived and we had a lovely lunch and catchup. At bill time we decided they should shout my drink at least so she asked them that and while he said at least and took the bill was assumed that meant he would credit the whole account and left. So we got a free lunch ( including rhubarb trifle yummy).
When I got home I showed P and he was all for the hospital as well, but I cut my fingernail back and with proper tweezers tried to pull it out but the pain was intense. Did not think I would be able to do then had a brainwave, when I get cold and my fingers go numb I cant feel them, so I put my hand in the freezer. After a while I had another go and got the splinter to move...( sorry about the swearing) then more freezer then decided now or never and pulled and got it out, it was as long as my fingernail and then some. Pictures not for the squemish. Still throbbing something wicked and hopefully wont get infected. ( click on this picture to see how huge it really is.

No comments: