So we both headed to the Bradford agency and did some spelling, maths and typing test, what a laugh. And filled in masses of forms.
They would then put our cv's forward to the school, P for exams and me for business manager, and at the same school.
That afternoon I got a call from another agency asking me if I would be interested in the same job..... turns out both agents had the job and both were sure they would be the one the school would choose, so we went to the second agency to fill in their paper work. The second agent was a nightmare, references for the last 5 years, police checks from New Zealand ( mine is 2002 and not good enough, no one has cared up till now and I have worked a lot, but they were really worried and wanted me to fill in more forms or I couldn't work etc)
Then each agent seemed to be taking turns ringing to say we were working for them and we would start , me Wednesday and P Thursday, in the end I got sick of it and said I will go to the school , start work and you guys can fight amongst yourselves over who gets to bill for us.
So we started sadly the school is in Bradford , luckily on the outskirts on the side nearest were we live, but still a 45 min drive there and back each day.
P got there and they made him data manager instead of exams as they needed that more!.
I am not a real Business manager as there is one there I am snr finance with two staff so a lot easier than being in charge of all the premises, catering, staffing as well.
They are planning to "cascade" the duties from the soon to be called Strategic Business Manager " to the new Business Manager ( me now) and for no more money and tighter hours so the lady ( Jean ) left instead.... and now they have me.
day one we had samosas, pizza, choc cake,pecan cheesecake and almond trifle as a farewell lunch.
The next day a lady come round and orders breakfast ( it happens every Friday ) and the girls in my office had a bacon butty and the other a full english breakfast (at her desk! in school time).
Then lunch was another 9 cakes as it was end of term. I may not need to comment that they are all very large lasses in this school and they tell me I need fattening up.
So Jean left ( after 23 years there) and now it is me, and a weeks school holiday. P and I are going in to do 2 days work and then take the rest of the week off.
Systems are very old fashioned Jean has been there forever and she worked with the current BM who worked her way up from photocopy clerk and was trained by Jean. They do paper copies of everything as they don't seem to trust the computer.
The school is 89% Asian, nearly all Pakistani, so we have most girls with their hair covered, I am the only blonde curly in the school I think. Some of the indian 6th formers wear lovely saris, very colourful.
I also have an interview for Business Manager at a Primary school, I quite fancy it, only 200 students and 30 staff) but it is in the opposite direction so our car pooling becomes P in the car and me on the bus for an hour.... still I might not like it / get it.
We are temps at the school we are at but I think they would like to keep us both if they could.
Nice Friday meal at a Greek restaurant and then a long walk around Roundhay Park on
Saturday in the sun.
No comments:
Post a Comment