Tuesday, 8 September 2009

Twas nice in Nice


Finally the next installment, (mind you I am streets ahead of himself , who doesn't work all day).

After we had a breakfast we packed up the car and headed to Nice, via the inland route.

We went through some lovely villages and then into a huge gorge, the grand canyon of France. Having been to the grand canyon, USA, I
can say this was equally stunning. Huge high white mountains with a deep gorge cut through it. we drove into
the middle where there was a huge hydro lake that was very popular. It was weird every one seemed to be in a boat or kayak or pedalo ( with or without slide) and they were all going up to the bridge and then up the gorge, so there was a huge bottle neck of craft.
We decided we should go to but no one would hire us a canoe for only 1 hour and we had no more time to spare if we were
to meet Shirley in Nice ( yes my best Wellington NZ friend was going to Nice to meet us). So we gave up and headed back on the road. More scary mountain passes and long deep drops off the side of the road and we came to a
bridge, and they were bungy jumping off it, the drop was enormous a lot more than Kawara gorge and the river bed was dry so the were jumping over sand.

I felt quite sick watching them leap out and fall for ages.

So we got back in the car and headed off for lunch, a nice village with a fine spray system of cool water over the outdoor eating area. I had a fruit juice which came with a floral lei ( not real flowers). They made salads where a lot of it was served on big skewers sticking out of an orange
and the lettuce was piled in the middle.

Off we went again to Nice, sadly the sat nav had trouble pinpointing the exact location and we did a bit of touring
about, the one way street system did not help.
Finally I found it and P went away round the block, after I checked in
I went down to wait for P but he took ages and who should be walking along the street but Shirl. It was a good welcome for her and as the hotel had a very small sign on the side of a doorway ,it was good that I was there to show here where we were staying.

No comments: