Finally feeling better and with no work to go to I have had a great time exploring Edinburgh.
Yesterday I went to town and then just as it started snowing I went and did a two hour stint in the records office tracing my family. I had a lot of trouble with GGG Grandad as he is David Brown a common surname and his wife seemed to be either called Janet or Jessica. I can get back to them living in Currie ( now a suburb of Edinburgh ) in 1801 and can trace their family through to living in Leith where we are and then the move to NZ.
I was hoping to go back one more generation at least but will have to have another session.
Today I went for a long walk ( 3 hours) all round the older established areas of town it was great lots of of alleys and old houses. I also visited a lot of art galleries as Dundas st had a whole row of them, a sort of artist quarter
Tomorrow we go to the highlands, if you don't hear from me for a couple of days send a search party to dig us out of the snow.
I got a deal from a hotel chain ( all 3 & 4 star) that are over £150 per night , the winter deal we got is £40 bed and breakfast. We get to stay in 2 castles, a country house and a weird looking place on Skye.
http://www.oxfordhotelsandinns.com/OurHotels/TullochCastle
is the first one
I will update with details and photos when we are back.
No comments:
Post a Comment