
One ends another begins
Last day at work on Monday we had a party, well we all bought food and at 12.30 we ate it. Was great it meant that everyone could come. I got lots of farewell cards and hugs and even tears at my leaving so it was a sad day.
The previous Friday Faye and I went on a walk round Bath in the evening on a Bizarre Bath tour,
Not history more like Elvis does magic, he was really funny and did tricks, told jokes and generally kept us amused. His best trick was to wrap a cute stuffed bunny in chains and put it in a bag with weights and throw it in the River! After a while a bunny popped up….he also locked a girl in the stocks and thrust a blade through her which cut carrots under her neck but oddly her head did not fall in the bucket. All good fun. P was at his works farewell drinks and we got home about the same time.
Then we spent the next day cleaning the flat from top to bottom , having a go at filling the car and taking the stuff to the storage locker…we do seem to have accumulated a fair bit of stuff. Had a nice break on Sunday and lunch at Toto with Meg and Tim. Then back into cleaning. The day finally dawned and we had our flat checked over A+ as you would expect then taxi via the storage.. hm starting to look at little too much stuff now, including hanging up our last day towels ( they will either dry or mould I guess ) and headed for the airport. It was really sad leaving what has been a great flat, nice city and really nice work mates, and friends, esp Mapi Andrea and the girls.
Easyjet not so easy this time and they made us have no more than 20 kilos and even though we had weighed them at home we still had to do some shuffling round at the check in counter
Still on the plane where I was in the seat by the mum with the annoying 3 year old that wanted to watch telly then not watch hit her mum not hit her mum, never a moments peace for her.
Arrived Rome.
The car rental company did not have an office yet ( no wonder they are cheap ) but after a phone call to us they explained and we went to collect our car, it was tiny Fiat Panda, P is sure we ordered something bigger, but using my packing skills ( which Claire inherited ) I got all the luggage in and we headed off to San Vito Chientino in Abruzzo on the opposite coast to Rome ( and down a bit).
Met the landlords niece at the railway station and found the apartment. First impression was lovely big 3bed rooms and big
kitchen close to beach with lovely view over the sea and lots of room. Then we noticed it was really dirty, I don’t think any one had been in it for 6 months and the last ones did not clean when they left. Also we had no bedding!!!
Luckily we had the girls phone number and they arranged for bedding to be delivered the next day. So we cleaned a bit and then sleep in our clothes ( a great start )
The next morning the sister of the landlord came and she was also appalled by the mess and promised us sheets and blankets and
we said that we would rather clean than wait for a cleaner. So just like last week we all cleaned floors and baths etc. Now it looks fabulous. The sister and her husband came and they gave us everything we were missing and we had a great chat to them they were lovely and friendly.
Now after a few coffees, gelato, vino rosso, walks on the breakwater, sunshine and thunderstoms, walks up to the top of the ridge and the church with the amazing view all is well.
And we are really pleased with the flat the location and set up is perfect the sister showed us a roof garden that is for us as well!( will ask for some money back though for the bad start.)My Italian is much better this time and I have managed everything I want so far. And mastered
drinking espresso in tiny cups again.
Day 3
Up and out for croissant and coffee today my croissant ( or confetti as they call them here ) was marmalade, which was apricot jam and what seemed like meringue baked thinly over it… very nice and I am sure it is diet food. We then got on the road and drove to the Sangro Valley where we stopped at the commonwealth graves there. Immaculate grounds not a single weed and every grave set with flowers and at this time of the year masses of red roses. It was a tribute to the grounds men.
We then travelled to Vasto, a lovely town and we sat on the terrace and ate our lunch looking down to the sea and out over the med. We then travelled all over the Valley and P went cross country to get a
bridge photo ( after it poured with rain ) and came back after 15 minutes with mud all over the place and really thick on his feet. The sun came out again and we headed off through lots of small towns, I was driving so glad that there was not much in the way of traffic.
Home at last and I made pasta for tea ( of course)
Day 4 Saturday we went to Lanciano
There was a market so we pottered about that and I bought a lovely bright orange bag for my lunches when I get back to work.
We finally found an internet café and many thanks to all of you that wrote ( not my lovely child
though) . We got a sim card from vodaphone but our mobile connection is sim locked and would not take it. They are so cheap the lady in the shop gave it to us!
Then home after a long day shopping mostly trying to find Faye a dress and P the internet.
Chicken for tea for them it was done in a local shop basically cut in half squashed flat like a mutton bird the barbequed in a big oven, I cooked the nicest new potatoes I have had in ages the skin came off by rubbing with your thumb and fresh beans and I made a chickpea cheese omelette for me.
For afters a lemon tart.
Day 5 Sunday
Up early ( 8.30 is our start time now we have decided ) P off to the Sangro to match photos and F and I went to the beach. We hired deck chairs and a brolly and lay in the warm and watched the world go by. I was brave and went for a swim ( like Shirley I have goggles and pottered about looking at the boring brown fish)
After getting a bit toasting and F knees turning scarlet we headed home to wash the seawater
off. ( my aim for the holiday is to get F in her bathers and in the sea it has been 10’s of years since the last time)
The a book read and I have been for a walk to watch the fishermen,they had one of the traqbocchi working they raise and lower the net with a big flat wheel that the men turn by winding it round like slaves. we will go out for gelato soon .
The bells the bells they follow me everywhere. A procession of purple priests, little girls with rose petals a throwing, ( very dodgy priest who stared at F and I up on the balcony I think now maybe my short skirt may have provided a decidedly non ecclesiastical view). They processed along our street followed by chanting nuns and folk and then after 45 min or so they came back having completed a lap of the local area. P meanwhile was delayed by a similar precession in another town and then was lucky to arrive here when our one was passed the end of the street.
My legs are a bit red!
Monday
In Ortona and a wonderful internet shop and lots of fast machines so at last I can update my blog and do my virtual rugby picks.
No comments:
Post a Comment